Associate Vice President, Safety, Security & Emergency Preparedness, Broward College
Reporting to the Vice President, Operations and working collaboratively with Senior Leadership, the Campus Presidents and Business Deans, the AVP of Safety, Security, and Emergency Preparedness is responsible for the coordination and leadership of college-wide safety, security and emergency responsiveness for Broward College.
- Master's degree required.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Typically over 10 years of general business experience, including over eight years in law enforcement or public safety middle management and five years in post- secondary or higher education, law enforcement, emergency management or a combination of both.
- Daily - 35%: Manages and leads all operations, policies and procedure, and initiatives for College wide safety, security, emergency preparedness, and emergency responsiveness. Leads and directs a diverse staff.
- Daily - 10%: Develops solutions to safety, security and emergency preparedness issues and presents alternatives to the vice-president and senior administration.
- Daily - 10%: Defines and directs safety, security and emergency preparedness initiatives to achieve operational efficiencies, goals and objectives.
- Daily - 5%: Leads and manages multiple, cross functional and/or cross departmental projects and initiatives.
- Annually - 5%: Develops time-sensitive project work plans, directs project management and communication of project status to stakeholders.
- Other (As Needed) - 10%: Manages and coordinates contracts and legal issues for all areas under scope of responsibility. Acts as liaison with College Attorney's office.
- Weekly - 5%: Advises vice-president and senior leadership in defining and identifying key measures, operational enhancements and performance targets for the division.
- Weekly - 5%: Works collaboratively with district and campus administration to ensure a college-wide perspective while working towards effective attainment of established goals and objectives. Works collaboratively with applicable state-wide groups and consortiums.
- Weekly - 5%: Monitors and reviews current legislation relative to areas under scope of responsibility.
- Monthly - 5%: Represents and serves as spokesperson for the college in various civic, community and professional organizations at the local, state and national level. Conducts speaking engagements to promote the mission and goals of the department and the College.
- Other, as Needed - 5%: Other duties as assigned. Knowledge,
Skills and Abilities:
- Broad understanding of the external environment and how it affects academia in general and in particular, including political, legal, environmental, educational, financial and social influences.
- Ability to translate College-wide strategies and priorities into strategic and operational plans and policies for safety, security and emergency preparedness.
- Ability to forecast and manage budgets and other resource requirements for area of responsibility.
- Must possess knowledge of National Incident Management System (NIMS) and emergency preparedness and response protocol; experience in business continuity plans helpful.
- Must possess knowledge and experience in public safety accreditation programs.
- Models inclusive excellence through specific actions that support the College's diversity goals in the recruitment, hiring, and retention of talented and diverse faculty and staff.
- Broad understanding of the structure, operations, human resources and finances of the College and the complexities of their interdependencies
- Ability to understand the impact of own area on the College and to contribute to the development of the College's strategic plan
- Proven leadership skills and managerial expertise, and ability to motivate and empower direct and indirect reports to achieve priorities and expectations for own area
- Ability to partner with others across the College and externally develops strategies and plans to exchange information, collaborate on projects, share resources, etc.
- Ability to influence others of the benefits/importance of an idea or plan of action and to gain their support or commitment
Position Number: P0000134
Job Status: Full time Regular
Location: Cypress Creek Administrative Center
Pay Grade: 213
Salary: $90,000 - $117,000 Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Work Shift: First Shift
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Posting End Date: Open Until Filled
Comments: To be considered for this position, a completed online employment application form along with a cover letter, resume and unofficial transcript are required.
Designated Essential Personnel: Yes
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Classification: Administrators
Special Instructions to Applicant:
For positions requiring a degree, the official transcripts are required upon hire. An unofficial copy of the degree/transcript is acceptable during the application process and can be faxed to 954-201-7612. On the fax transmittal, please state clearly the position name(s) and position number(s) the transcript is to be attached to.
Foreign Transcript: Transcripts issued outside of the United States require a equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the application deadline.
All document(s) must be received on or before the closing date of the job announcements.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the required background screening process.
The intent of this description is to illustrate the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and should not be interpreted of describe all the specific duties and responsibilities that may be required in any particular position. Directly related education/experience beyond the minimum stated may be substituted where appropriate at the discretion of the Appointing Authority. Broward College reserves the right to revise or change job duties, job hours, and responsibilities.