Campus Safety Officer
Institution name: McDaniel College
Title: Campus Safety Officer
Job location: MD
Job category: Officer positions
Posting date: 2023-02-21 00:00:00
End date: 2023-04-21 00:00:00
McDaniel College, recognized nationally among “Colleges that Change Lives” and U.S. News and World Report top-tier liberal arts colleges, is a four-year private college of the liberal arts and sciences offering more than 60 undergraduate programs of study, including dual and student-designed majors, plus 20 highly regarded graduate programs.
McDaniel College invites applications for Campus Safety Officer. At McDaniel College we value our employees by offering full-time employees tuition remission, 403B retirement accounts with employer contribution, paid time off, medical insurance, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, and paid maternity and parental leave. Visit the college’s benefits guidebook for more information. This is a full-time, essential position working 40 hours a week. The hiring range is $21/hr.
Campus Safety Officers are responsible for the protection of life and property on the McDaniel College campus. Officers work variable shifts and are expected to be available for occasional overtime, and holiday work. Additional training occurring both on and off campus will be assigned. Officers are expected to develop familiarity with additional areas of personal interest/expertise needed and assigned by the Department. Officers may conduct programming or represent the Department to the larger community by staffing information tables, making presentations, and participating in external collaborations to include mutual operations and patrols with other law enforcement and public safety agencies. The criticality of error in this position is very high and all tasks must be completed with precision. This position is a non-sworn uniform classification. At the discretion of the Chief/Director, the successful candidate will be expected to have the ability to train over a two-year period and successfully transition to a sworn campus police Private First Class (PFC). This is a safety sensitive position. Participation in the college’s random drug program is required.
· Provide patrols throughout campus noting and/or documenting safety hazards, rule infractions, law violations, and suspicious activities.
· Respond to calls for service (emergency and routine) providing service within the scope of training and ability. Refer calls beyond the scope of training and ability to appropriate College and governmental services.
· Perform Dispatch and clerical duties.
· Perform duties related to the efficient function of the Department or the College.
· Fulfill Campus Security Authority Responsibilities.
Qualifications & Experience
· High School diploma required.
· One year in law enforcement/security department (college law enforcement preferred) or emergency service agency. Additional education may be substituted for experience.
· Ability to self-start and self-supervise daily tasks and to work under stress necessary.
· Exceptional communications skills both written and oral are required.
· Must be able to maintain a departmentally approved First Aid/CPR/AED certification.
· Must have and maintain a valid Class C driver’s license with two or less points.
· Must be able to remain eligible to attain a Special Police Commission after two years of service.
For a complete job description and to apply, please visit the college’s employment webpage. Completed applications must include a cover letter addressing position qualifications and related experience, resume, the names and contact information of three professional references, and a completed job application. Review of applications will begin immediately. The position will be open until filled.
McDaniel College, an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate in the recruitment, admission, and employment of students, faculty, and staff in the operation of any of its educational programs and activities. McDaniel College will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on basis of any protected status including protective hairstyle, race, religion, color, ancestry or national origin, disability, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military status, genetic information, marital status, veteran’s status, or any other actual or perceived legally protected characteristics. For more information on the college’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, please visit the college’s Campus Diversity & Inclusion web page.
CONNECTIONS is IACLEA's member community featuring peer networking and a full library of resources for the betterment of campus public safety.