Institution name: University of Missouri-Kansas City
Title: Communications Operator
Job location: MO
Job category: Officer positions
Posting date: 2023-04-10 00:00:00
End date: 2023-12-31 00:00:00
University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC) Police Department
The UMKC Police Department is accepting applications for the position of Police Dispatcher / Safety Communications Officer. This person will receive incoming calls to the Police Department, routing and logging them as appropriate; arranging for dispatch of officers to scene of complaint; gathering and managing incident-related data.
Our mission is to foster a safe and orderly learning environment by protecting life, property and the rights and dignity of all individuals in accordance with the principles of the Missouri and United States Constitutions.
- Answer multi-line and emergency phones. Act as an after-hours emergency switchboard.
- Gather information for emergency and non-emergency complaints and prioritize all calls according to importance. Relay information as appropriate.
- Greet walk-in customers; serve as receptionist.
- Using computer, maintain duty log of all police, security guards and cadets.
- Using specialized software (computer aided dispatch and MULES), enter and retrieve criminal action information.
- Maintain call lists for routing of calls. Maintain daily logs.
- Generate daily incident report forms and Clery reports; post to website. Prepare and distribute records/reports as designated to campus, courts and others as specified. Provide reports to the public and collect appropriate fees for reports and fingerprints. Prepare administrative reports and records.
- Handle multi-channel police radio console to route appropriate personnel to designated areas in response to calls for assistance, crimes, buildings, alarms, and traffic stops among other things.
- Monitor alarm systems for University buildings and security cameras.
- Make callouts and fill out work orders.
- Merge departmental records from field reporting systems. Enter police reports (incidents, accidents, bookings, dispositions, follow-ups, etc). Proofread reports. File and store reports and records.
- Record traffic stop profile information.
- May conduct field training for new communications operators.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- At least 2 years of experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities can be acquired is necessary
- At least 3 years of general office experience
- Previous experience with dispatch, communications, public safety, and/or experience wokring in a law enforcement environment
Full Time/Part Time
- 40 hours per week (1.0 FTE), benefit-eligible from date of hire, staff position.
- Up to $17.00 hour, commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity.
- Position is eligible for $0.70 shift differential for applicable shifts (see HR-204 Shift Differential)
- Position is eligible for a $1,500 hiring incentive (see HR-104 Hiring Incentives for Faculty and Staff)
Varies; evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays are required.
CONNECTIONS is IACLEA's member community featuring peer networking and a full library of resources for the betterment of campus public safety.