COVID-19: Crisis Response: Implementing and Evolving Plans
Provided here are resources for campus police and public safety agencies from partners and members related to adapting the response to COVID-19.
Emory University Office of Critical Event Preparedness and Response (CEPAR) Emergency Operations Plan (EOP), published in February 2020. This document includes details such as an executive summary, plan fundamentals, EOP, EOP management, responsibilities for specific functions, incident management structure, crisis leadership team, and emergency support function group.
IACLEA's COVID-19 Rapid Response Briefing Call Series
COVID-19 has created significant dangers and challenges for campus police and public safety personnel. The evolving circumstances require new approaches to responding to calls for service, handling medical emergencies, interacting with individuals, preparing for the medical surge, and engaging individuals who may need to be restrained, arrested or assisted.
Please join an upcoming conference call via Zoom (audio only) to gain advice from experts who daily address the evolving challenges of leading public safety efforts during an unprecedented public health emergency. Alternatively, you can listen to past calls that are archived and available on-demand below. These conference calls are part of IACLEA's COVID-19 Rapid Response. Rapid Response Briefing Calls are open to IACLEA members and non-member personnel serving in the campus police and public safety field. It is free, but registration is required. Learn more at www.IACLEA.org/calendar.
- May 28, 2020 Details: COVID-19 Rapid Response Briefing Call
- May 21, 2020 Details: COVID-19 Rapid Response Briefing Call: Effective Relationships Between IHE Top Administrators & Police/Public Safety Leaders. Montana State University President Waded Cruzado demonstrates the high value she places on safety and security—and the professionals who lead those efforts—through her leadership priorities. Her leadership approach includes a strong working relationship with Chief of Police Frank Parrish—during ordinary, and now, anything-but-ordinary times.
- May 14, 2020 Details: Federal Partner Series: Department of Homeland Security. COVID-19 Rapid Response Briefing Call. Expert Panelist are Brian Harrell, Assistant Director, Infrastructure Security, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), Charles "Skeet" Brewer, Division Chief, Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers (FLETC), and Amanda Brown, Section Chief, Regulations and Policy Branch, Public Assistance, FEMA Recovery Directorate. View the debrief document here.
- May 7, 2020 Details & Registration: COVID-19 Rapid Response Briefing Call: Preparing and Responding to Risks on Campuses. Expert panelists are Chief Frank Parish, Montana State University and Director of Risk, Security & Resilience Philip Van Saun, University of California at San Diego. View the debrief document here.
- May 5, 2020 Recording (brief registration is required to view or download the recording): Dealing with the New Normal-Getting Ahead of the Higher Ed Budget Crisis. Higher Education institutions around the world are preparing for a variety of cost-cutting measures to help address budget shortfalls tied to COVID-19. These cuts are expected to be significant so it’s important for IACLEA members to prepare and proactively address what will ultimately be the “the new normal” in which we operate. Join Corporate Partner CriticalArc as they dive into the impending topic. Approximately 58 minutes. V=
- April 30, 2020 Recording: Federal Partner Series: Federal Bureau of Investigations, COVID-19 Rapid Response Briefing Call. Four representatives from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) will discuss the issues listed in Cyber Actors Take Advantage of COVID-19 Pandemic to Exploit Increased Use of Virtual Environments, PSA released April 1, 2020. View the debrief document here.
- April 23, 2020 Recording: Multi-agency, campus-municipal collaboration in “normal” times and emergency periods. Expert panelists are Chief Joseph Morris, Arapahoe Community College Police Department, Chief Dustin Olson, Colorado School of Mines, Chief John Mackey, Edgewater Police Department, Chief George Mumma, Morrison Police Department, and Chief Sean Dugan, Red Rocks Community College Police Department. Approximately 52 minutes. View the debrief document here.
- April 21, 2020 Recording: Engaging and Informing: The Role of Safety Apps in COVID-19 Response. Join representatives from the University of Chicago, Pace University, and Corporate Partner AppArmor as they discuss the strategies behind how institutional safety apps and mass notifications continue to play an active role in COVID-19 response. Expert panelists are Mike Kwiatkowski, Executive Director for Campus Safety, University of Chicago, Brian Anderson, Director of Emergency Management and Environmental Health & Safety at Pace University, and David Sinkinson, Co-Founder of AppArmor. Approximately 64 minutes.
- April 16, 2020 Recording: COVID-19 Rapid Response Briefing Call. Expert panelists are Security Operations Manager, Michael Murphy, Rockefeller University, Public Safety Supervisor, Micheal McGinn, Fordham University, and Chief of Police, Bryan Millard, Cuesta College (California). Approximately 58 minutes. View the debrief document here.
- April 15, 2020 Recording: Clery Act FAQ's during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Expert panelists Abagail Boyer and Laura Egan from Clery Center answered questions related to managing the Clery Act during the COVID-19 pandemic. Questions addressed include, but are not limited to: Do I still have to issue timely warnings if no one is left on my campus? If I house medical and first responder personnel or patients, do I need to issue alerts to them? What are my reporting obligations for virtual offices and classrooms? Approximately 34 minutes.
- April 9, 2020 Recording: Collaboration Among Campus Public Safety & Health Services. Expert panelists Chief of Police, Rus Drew, Emory University and Executive Director of Student Health Services, Dr. Sharon R. Rabinovitz MD address how campus student health and police/public safety are working together to keep the campus safe and prepared during the COVID-19 pandemic. Dr. Rabinovitz is a member of the American College Health Association. Approximately 54 minutes. View the debrief document here.
- April 2, 2020 Recording: Responses and Strategies for the Changing Emergency. The expert panelists are Chief of Police Jeff Earle, University of Alaska – Anchorage, Security Captain David Nunley, Baptist College of Health Sciences, Memphis, Tennessee. Associate Vice President & Chief of Police Patrick Ogden, University of Delaware. Chief Ogden is IACLEA’s Mid-Atlantic Director, Associate Vice President for Public Safety and Chief of Police Eric Plummer, the University of North Dakota (Chief Plummer is Chair of IACLEA’s Domestic Preparedness Committee). Approximately 42 minutes. View the debrief document here.
- March 26, 2020 Recording: Officer Safety & Wellness During the COVID-19 Outbreak. The expert panelists are Chief Terri Brown, Florida State University, Major Bradley Seifers, Indiana University, AVP of Public Safety and Chief of Police Paul Dean, University of New Hampshire Police Department, and Danielle Walker, Ph.D., of Biola University. View the debrief document here.
- February 18, 2020 Recording: Communicating During COVID-19. WEBINAR, presented by Chief Michael Thompson of Arizona State University. Chief Thompson provides information on how Arizona State University responded to the first confirmed case of coronavirus at a U.S. institute of higher education. Approximately 36 minutes.