Company Name: Barnard College
Position Title: Executive Director for CARES
Job Location: Barnard, New York, United States
Reporting to the Associate Vice President for CARES (AVP for CARES), the Executive Director/Assistant VP for CARES will provide leadership to the Barnard College functions of safety (physical, fire/life, structural, interpersonal, and psychosocial safety), emergency preparedness, response and crisis management. This includes supervision and direction of over 100 employees, including support for directors, managers, supervisors, community safety officers, dispatchers, access attendants, and response team. This role will work closely with the AVP for CARES to shape the CARES strategy. In the absence of the AVP for CARES, this role will lead the department.
The position includes management of staff in a unionized environment as well as non-union staff. Extensive collaboration is necessary with all departments within Barnard, as well community partners.
Barnard College is an employer of choice that seeks to help staff and faculty cultivate their personal wellbeing, develop professionally, and create a fulfilling career path.
- Team Management: Supervision of direct reports, coaching and guiding to lead the team to success. Direct reports include the Director of CARES Operations, Director, Emergency Management and Preparedness, Director of Community Safety Operations, Senior Director of Fire Safety & Emergency Preparedness, Associate Director of CARES Compliance and Department Administrator. Sets the tone and direction of performance expectations, creating a culture of feedback for a large staff of CARES employees. Partners with CARES Senior Leadership to strategically recruit and fill vacant positions in collaboration with Human Resources. Guide planning and budget management across units of CARES. Maintain positive working relationships with colleagues across the College to create a culture of teamwork and collegiality.
- Safety Operations and Incident Response: with the AVP for CARES, Identify the strategic vision and direction for Barnard's safety and security operations. Provide management to departmental leadership to ensure best practices and robust implementation across all elements of safety. This includes attention to regulatory compliance; nondiscrimination efforts; CARES standard operating procedures in compliance with College and Department policy, procedure and protocol; ongoing training of staff and the community; support project management of security and fire safety systems oversight and ensure maintenance of appropriate record keeping
- Emergency Management: Coordinate direction, project management and implementation of proactive mitigation, preparedness and response on campus in the context of Barnard's emergency management plans. Partner with colleagues across the College to maintain and update emergency management plans, protocols and documents as necessary, staying abreast of trends and best practices across the field of safety in education. Oversee a regular program of training, tabletop exercises, drills, and simulations to ensure preparedness and best practices.
- Community Response, Engagement and Outreach: Oversee the continued development of comprehensive response to safety across campus. Support CARES Leadership in navigating complex daily operations of preparedness and response efforts. Provide consultation or contribute to follow up response related to significant incidents on or near campus. Work with CARES Leadership staff on the design and implementation of programs for community engagement and outreach to foster trust between campus constituents and CARES Safety staff and functions. Communicate proactively with a wide variety of stakeholders and campus audiences to promote safety and help CARES flourish. Develop platforms for regular communication to engage with the community and create positive relationships and partnerships. Working with Department staff, College communications professionals and external vendors as needed, create presentations, summaries, or other tools as necessary for the communication of information to any audience.
- Other Duties as Assigned: Perform miscellaneous tasks as necessary, for the demonstrated successful implementation of assigned duties. Ensure administrative excellence across the organization, including accurate and reliable support for other departments such as Events Management. Perform data analysis as necessary or requested. Be available 24/7 to respond to emergencies as necessary. Represent Barnard College as necessary and participate in training activities to maintain professional knowledge of evolving regulatory requirements and practices in the field of campus security.
Salary Range: $155,000 - $160,000
Skills, Qualifications & Requirements:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strategic leadership, including the ability to help staff understand and implement CARES strategy; to help communicate that strategy to Barnard and external audiences; and to work with the AVP and other campus leaders in supporting the College's educational mission.
- Strong computer skills, including the ability to learn new software as necessary. Ability to fully utilize email, electronic calendars, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel.
- Strong knowledge of safety across all elements, including crisis response, risk mitigation, and oversight of security practices including electronic security systems.
- Working knowledge of compliance obligations and relevant New York City, State, and Federal regulatory requirements.
- Strong financial and contract management skills. Ability to negotiate.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with collective bargaining agreements and unionized staff.
- Detail-oriented. Excellent time management skills and ability to deliver work on assigned schedules.
- Skilled in communicating complex information to a diverse set of constituencies in a collegial environment. Ability to communicate and work effectively with all levels in a demanding environment.
- Must demonstrate integrity and sound judgment, leadership and effective communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to act decisively and independently to see projects through and guide resolve complex issues.
- Must establish and maintain effective working relationships with members of the campus community, fellow employees, city officials, other government agencies, and the general public.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/yyg2W2sw5RVRaSymGUg4Ea