First-Line Supervisor Institute 2020
Length of class: 3.5 days; in-person
Members: $799. After the early-bird deadline, the member rate is $879.
Non-members: $1049. After the early-bird deadline, the non-member rate is $1,179.
Hotel: Hilton University of Houston, the special room rate will be available until December 6th or until the group block is sold-out.
Audience: corporals, sergeants, or those serving as a first-line supervisor/about to be promoted to first-line supervisors. Participants can be sworn or non-sworn, work at public or private/2-year or 4-year institutions.
Topics to be covered:
- Personality assessment (day 1)
- Leadership styles (day 1)
- Making the transition from officer to supervisor (day 2)
- Performance management of subordinates (day 2)
- Impact of first-line supervision on morale & departmental perception of line officers (day 3)
- Managing Implicit Bias (day 3)
- De-escalation techniques for supervisors (day 3)
- Managing critical incidents (day 4)
The development team consists primarily of three campus chiefs/directors with PhDs, who are actively engaged in the writing of the curriculum and in the presentations that will occur.
Hours will be submitted to the Texas Commission On Law Enforcement (TCOLE) for attendees from Texas.