International Exchange Program
IACLEA offers members an opportunity to participate in its International Exchange Program. The program seeks to educate members on the operation of campus public safety agencies globally and to further the relationship between institutions across the world. The program operates in partnership with the Association of University Chief Security Officers (AUCSO), an organization that represents security professionals employed at universities, colleges, and institutions of higher education in the United Kingdom and Europe.
Under this program, one agency head or command level staff member from each association will participate in an exchange program for a period of three or four days to observe the operations of the other agency.
Past participants include:
- 2013-Malcolm Dawson of the University of Leeds partnered with Teresa Crocker of Georgia Tech, Atlanta, USA.
- 2014-Peter Brinkley of the University of Surrey partnered with Vernon Baisden of the Ohio State University, USA
- 2015-Laurence Perkins of the University of Leicester partnered with Lionel Lim of the National University of Singapore. Elizabeth Palicza of London South Bank University partnered with Kevin Cleveland of Vanderbilt University in Nashville Tennessee, USA.
- 2016-Alan Cain from Manchester Metropolitan University visited Zurich University in Switzerland and Richard Sheridan partnered with Jay Gruber of Georgetown University in Washington, DC, USA.
Calls for Applications
IACLEA seeks applications in April for travel in August or September. Applicants who cannot participate during that time of the year are still encouraged to apply and should note on their application that alternative scheduling arrangements may need to be made. Further guidance regarding scheduling will be given to the selected applicant. Please note a letter of approval from your Head of Department must accompany the application. Check back in April for the application.
- Should be located near a major hub with an international airport
- Must be located in the U.S. or Canada and be an IACLEA Institutional Member
- Have their own security team (in-house or contract)
- Ideally, have strong links with the local police force at various levels
- Host other participant for three to four days
- Provide transportation to/from airport
- Provide accommodation for the participant for the duration of the visit. A good standard 3* hotel, bed and breakfast or self-catering would be acceptable. If student accommodation, it should be good post-graduate standard.
- Provide meals to the participant, on arrival day and lunch during the working days if possible.
- Provide a well-planned itinerary for the participant to learn about campus public safety operations at your institution. Must include orientation of the campus and surrounding area; meetings with local police; patrols with the security team; meetings with other University staff as available; visits to other Universities/Colleges in the area; attending events on campus.
*IACLEA will not reimburse any Host expenses.
- IACLEA will pay for reasonable round-trip economy class airfare-flights booked at least six weeks in advance by our travel agent.
- IACLEA will pay per diem of $75 a day for meals for up to four days.
- All other expenses will be the responsibility of the participant.
- The participant will be required to write a report summarizing the exchange experience within thirty days after the conclusion of the exchange to be featured in IACLEA's Campus Law Enforcement Journal. IACLEA staff is available to assist in editing and reviewing the article.
- The participant will be required to submit photos of the exchange to IACLEA for the promotion of the program.