Grand Canyon University is seeking a full time Dispatcher for our Public Safety Department. The Dispatcher works to support the university community by providing various services and programs that contribute to maintaining campus safety and security. This individual operates the communications center receiving emergency and non-emergency calls, after-hours requests, monitoring computerized alarm and access control systems, providing police and EMS dispatch and radio communication management.
This position must be able to work various shifts including; daytime, evening, night shifts and holidays.
What you will do:
- Receive and relay information for service by telephone and two-way radio.
- Record all information in the Daily Activity Report Log.
- Handle the daily accounting of all officers’ equipment, such as radios, keys, etc. which are checked in/out for shifts. Records detailed information in logs as required. Maintains Officer zone assignments and dispatches officers based on location in a timely manner to assist in deterring potential criminal activity and for emergency situations requiring Officer response.
- Operate security command center; to include, monitoring CCTV systems, access control systems, digital alarm receivers, and fire and burglar systems.
- Individually responsible for dispatching requested calls for service during the tour of duty which includes the following:
- Prevention and suppression of crime.
- Protection of life and property.
- Apprehension and protection of offenders.
- Preservation of the peace and maintenance of order.
- Enforcement of all state statues and University and housing regulations.
- Participate and assist in disaster planning and drills.
- Render aid when necessary including first aid, CPR, defibrillation, etc.
- Check to ensure that information for field officers are available so only authorized persons are admitted to buildings and monitors controlled access areas.
- Document disturbances and incidents and communicates with local law-enforcement during emergency situations.
- Cooperates with campus staff and external law enforcement agencies conducting investigations.
- Testifies in court as needed.
What you will need:
- High school diploma, or equivalent required; an Associate’s degree from an accredited college/university in criminal justice, police science, public administration, political science or similar discipline is preferred.
- Experience in 911 / Dispatch Center preferred.
- Ability to type 40 WPM preferred.
- Experienced with Computer Aided Dispatch, Records Management System, Criminal Justice
- Demonstrates a high degree of ethical behavior and adheres to the standards and regulations of the University and legal environment.
- Good communications and interpersonal skills; ability to speak Spanish or other non-English language including American Sign Language is helpful.
- Information Systems terminals, computerized alarm monitoring systems, computerized access control systems or other computer or technical systems.
- Knowledgeable of and ability to accurately interpret applicable federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position and daily responsibilities.
- Demonstrates good judgment and excellent conflict resolution/mediation skills.
- Certifications in CPR, First Aid and First Responder are preferred.
- Valid Arizona Driver's license in good standing; must be insurable.
- Must successfully pass a drug test.
- Must be flexible to work occasional evenings and weekends depending on scheduled events.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
Why work at GCU:
- Exceptional workplace benefits include medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, a 401K savings plan
- We also offer full-time employees an Education Tuition Discount Program
- Generous holiday and paid time off package – we aren’t kidding, it’s good!