Public Safety Officer I , St. John's College
Institution name: St. John's College
Title: Public Safety Officer I
Job location: MD
Job category: Officer positions
Posting date: 2021-12-17 08:48:00
End date: 2022-01-30 00:00:00
PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICER I
Reports To: Public Safety Captain
Office: Public Safety
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The Public Safety Officer I is a non-commissioned security officer, and is responsible for ensuring the safety and security of the people, buildings and property of the campus community. This is a service-oriented position. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Answer incoming calls and route them to the proper person or office.
- Stay abreast of college activities to answer inquiries about their locations, status, times, etc.
- Operate the public safety base station and work with the college’s Office of Public Safety as a dispatcher.
- Act as receptionist for college guests and maintain a sign-in sheet.
- Distribute keys for special rooms on campus and maintain records.
- Record messages for faculty, staff and students.
- Receive packages and track them. Notify intended recipients of packages for pick up.
- Work with students to cover switchboard operations, and help train them in the job. Provide guidance and mentoring in that process.
- Write reports for incidents on the college.
- Maintain the lost and found, to include completing appropriate forms.
- Monitor security cameras, computer systems and alarms.
- Conduct security patrols on the college under conditions of darkness and inclement weather.
- Provide emergency first aid to injured persons and assist in the transportation arrangements of ill or injured persons when necessary.
- Cooperate and provide direct support to superior officers or to the local police department in the investigation of an incident.
- Complete necessary administrative reports/forms related to incidents, to include gathering pertinent information from participants and/or witnesses.
- Maintain regular radio contact with officers and college staff to receive calls for service.
- Observe, report and address faulty and/or unsafe situations, equipment, and lighting to include reporting fire and other safety equipment that are not in working order, setting up caution tape, traffic cones, etc.
- Respond to calls for lockouts and admit authorized personnel to locked buildings and rooms. This includes walking on brick sidewalks, across turf, and traversing stairs.
- Conduct periodic routine walking tours of the campus.
- Attend internal/external courses, classes, and seminars, to further develop protective services skills and knowledge.
- Maintain certifications as appropriate.
- Appear in court regarding incidents that occur in the college Community when necessary.
- Must wear issued uniform, and carry all appropriate credentials when on duty.
- Perform other work-related duties as requested.
Supervision Received: Daily supervision and assignments are received from a senior Officer such as the Shift Supervisor or Associate Director of Public Safety.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Applicant should be physically capable of walking or standing a post outdoors for extended periods of time, as well as ascending and descending stairs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Entry-level Qualifications: High school graduation or GED required. Previous security
agency experience preferred. Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to generate cooperation from others. Ability to maintain calm and order during emergencies. Demonstration of a working knowledge of computers, especially MS Word, radios and phones. Ability to be certified in first aid, CPR, and tourniquets. Must be able to become certified as a crowd manager. Successful completion of a physical examination, drug screen and background check. No criminal record. Must possess and maintain a current valid Maryland driver’s license.
Note: This position is not considered an essential employee, but may be requested to work during times of emergency or inclement weather on a case-by-case basis.
Compensation: Grade 6, $14.00 per hour based on a 40 hour work week, excellent benefits.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org