Reducing Mass Violence Risks on College & University Campuses
Reducing Risks of Mass Violence on College and University Campuses
IACLEA recognizes the threat of active shooters and violent intruders and the risks they pose to soft targets like higher educational institutions. As campuses reopen and classrooms fill with students, the risk of an active shooter and violent intruders returns as well. The patchwork of state laws regulating military style weaponry and the ease of portability of such weapons require comprehensive studies to improve safety and federal legislation and regulation narrowly tailored to protect not only students, faculty, and staff, but also the public safety professionals sworn to protect them.
What Is Needed:
- Policies and training focused on threat assessment and risk management.
- Improved access to mental health service for students and employees.
- Legislation and regulation focusing on deterring gun violence.
- Comprehensive studies on gun-related violence including suicide.
- Support for the policies and legislation that protect law enforcement from gun violence.
CONNECTIONS is IACLEA's member community featuring peer networking and a full library of resources for the betterment of campus public safety.